Friday, October 3, 2008

Simplicity Is Highly Overrated

1.  As I look across my desk, I realize that I purchased my alarm clock because it is more complex.  I have an iHome, and it functions as a radio, iPod stereo, and alarm clock.  You can preset the alarm to play either the radio, your iPod, or a preset beeping sound.  I could have decided to purchase a regular clock, but the different options the iHome presented made it more attractive to myself as a user.  I figured that they more functions it had, the better it was.  However, the first week or so of school, I didn't take the time to read the instructions.  The added complexity made it difficult to work, and I had trouble figuring out quite how to set my alarm, turn off the alarm, and get the system to play my iPod in sync with when I desired to wake up.  After reading the instructions and fidgeting with it for about fifteen minutes, I finally figured out how to make it work.  

2.  Complexity is justified when the extraneous functions are necessary and useful to the user.  For example, on a television remote, there is an excessive amount of buttons.  Each one holds a different function for the television.  However, in reality, the average consumer only uses around ten functions, if even that many.  It is unnecessary to purchase that many remotes to work the T.V. when you could easily condense all the electronic devices into one, easy to use, control.  In a car however, where many different functions are necessary, the added complexity is almost a necessity.  GPS, air bags, windshield wipers, OnStar, door locks, alarm systems, and seat belts are all components of security that can be used to make the driver more comfortable and safe behind the wheel.  If a car were too simple, it would be too much of a liability and would not sell.  Simplicity is most important in everyday objects, such as appliances, because they are used by almost everyone.  At some point in your life, you will own a refrigerator, iron, toaster, coffee pot, or even a simple toothbrush.  If it is difficult to use, the product would not be taken advantage of or operated at maximum efficiency.  These often used products help make the life of the consumer easier, and are convenient ways to save time and to live life without unnecessary complications.  If they were not simple to use, the consumer would give up or grow frustrated with the product, making it a failure in the business world.  

3.   "So I really don’t think that anything in this world is absolutely perfect because being perfect is subject to point of view. Some things that people consider when they think about their own view of perfection maybe elegance, strength, color, size, shape. But every person has their own thing or things that they look for.”
                                            -Keenan

When I was thinking of the answer to the question of what a perfect product was, this idea never crossed my mind.  Keenan brings up a very good point in realizing that perfection is completely subjective.  There are certain criterion that people imagine to make up perfection, but not everyone will agree.  Some people would say something complex and complicated is perfect, and others may prefer simplicity.  In the world of design, producers have a difficult time trying to please their consumers, and must eventually settle for pleasing the largest part of the population possible.  

No comments: