Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Science of Shopping

1. I feel that one significant point made in the article is that environment plays a key role in the success of the store. Location, surrouding stores or restaurants, layout of the store, colors, lighting, music, and anything else that influences the buyer all play a crucial role in intriguing consumers. This plays into the many tips given to those wanting to open up a new business. Another key point is the psychology of the consumer. A consumer wants to be able to buy the things they need, and the things they want. It is up to the designer to make them purchase something they had never previously thought of getting.

2. Personally, although I hate to admit it, I fall into the trap. The design of a store heavily influences how likely I am to go in, and definitely adds to whether I decide to purchase from there or not. Layout, lighting, shadowing, and even the type of music playing in the background influence me. For example, if a song I enjoy is playing, I'll stick around in the store to hear it. That gives me more time to browse, and increases the liklihood that I will find something worse purchasing. I'm sure these factors all influence shoppers' moods as well, because if there is a physiological response to different designs, a hightened sense of awareness or a better mood would also increase revenue for the store.

3. First, I would check the location of the store. What are its surroundings? Is it around stores of similar characteristics? Second, what is the external display of the store like? Does it rely on bright colors, or a more subdued design? On the inside of the store, how do the employees act? Also, how do they dress? Are they attractive? Many stores try to sell a lifestyle. As far as inside layout, are the new products placed in front in order to attract customers, or is it in back to make them walk through the entire store? Are there "impulse buys" located near the counter for last minute purchases? Different stores use different types of music, lighting, etc. to spotlight their items as well.

No comments: